Building packages for GnuRadio 3.8 and UHD 4.1.0: Circular dependency?

From: Schütz , Katja
Subject: Building packages for GnuRadio 3.8 and UHD 4.1.0: Circular dependency?
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 16:17:53 +0000

Hello there,

I’m building packages for internal use:  GnuRadio 3.8.5 and UHD 4.1.0.5 and noticed that each seems to have the other as dependency. Is this correct? How to deal with that? Build and install them alternating?

Background: We have a fairly complicated flowgraph which we don’t want to convert to GnuRadio3.9. On the other hand we enjoy and use features and bug fixed from UHD 4.1.0.5. Our server runs Ubuntu 20.04 (Focal) and that won’t change soon. Until now we used a script to download both, GnuRadio and UHD, as archives and build them directly on the machine. The package is meant to save time when installing a new server and guarantee the specific versions. Also we could then directly work on the code.

What I did:

1.       Download sources with apt. For UHD I used the jammy repo as focal only provides 3.15

2.       Install UHD build dependencies (sudo apt-get build-dep) for uhd

3.       Build UHD package (dpkg-buildpackage –b)

4.       Try to install:

a.       libuhd4.1.0 installs fine including dependencies

b.       libuhd-dev_4.1.0.5 depends on gnuradio, gnuradio-dev and several libgnuradio packages

5.       Try to install gnuradio build dependencies
-> build depends on libuhd-dev

Does this really mean to install libuhd-dev I need to install gnuradio, but to build gnuadio (with UHD support) I need to install libuhd-dev?

Again my question: Where do I even start? Is this intended?

Thanks for looking into this!

Best Regards,

Katja