Re: [VOLK] Release 2.5.1

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [VOLK] Release 2.5.1
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 14:39:27 +0100

Cursory glance at `git diff v2.5.0..v2.51 **/**.h` tells me you didn't change anything ABI-wise.

Cheers,
Marcus

On 14.02.22 13:38, Johannes Demel wrote:
Hi all,

while I did not run the ABI compliance checker to compare 2.5.0 vs 2.5.1 specifically, it is simple and can be done with this tool:
https://lvc.github.io/abi-compliance-checker/#ABI_Dumper
So far, we were able to keep the ABI compatible across VOLK 2.x.
Also, we didn't change any function signatures of existing functions.

It might be a worthwhile undertaking to add an ABI compliance checker to our CI.

The VOLK library is written in C. Here, we rely on C11. Also, we require cpu_features because detecting such features across systems and architectures is terribly difficult.

Then, the questions are: Why Boost, why C++17 at all?
We use tools around our library. The volk_profile utility and our tests are written in C++. Here, we need to write the profile results to a file. In the past, we used `boost::filesystem` to achieve this. `boost::filesystem` basically became part of C++17 with `std::filesystem`. Thus, we use `std::filesystem` now.

Cheers
Johannes