Re: Sharing GR block developed on Linux with Windows 10 radioconda envir

From: Ryan Volz
Subject: Re: Sharing GR block developed on Linux with Windows 10 radioconda environment?
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 12:48:22 -0500

Hi Dave,

On 2/22/22 12:10 PM, David Cherkus wrote:
So, I am trying to write some GR blocks on Linux and if they work I want to
share them with a friend who is happily running GRC flowgraphs using the
radioconda install on Windows 10.  I don't have any Windows development tools.
I don't know, is a MSVC cross compilation environment available for Linux?  Or
is there a Docker image that I can run on Linux to do that?  Or some other
cloud-based way?

If you bundle your blocks up as an OOT module, then your friend should be able to compile
them on Windows by following the "Building OOT modules to use with conda-installed
GNU Radio" instructions on the wiki:

https://wiki.gnuradio.org/index.php/CondaInstall#Building_OOT_modules_to_use_with_conda-installed_GNU_Radio

But that requires some comfort with compiling things on your friend's side, and
maybe that doesn't best fit your situation.

If you want to be able to compile things yourself and just have them
installable and directly usable on Windows+radioconda, then the most natural
way is to create a conda package. That's more work for you, but I'm endeavoring
to make it easier. As of now, that means that I have a template repository on
Github where you can write a conda recipe for a GNU Radio OOT module and have
it built and uploaded to anaconda.org from the Github CI. Then your friend
could install it from your anaconda.org channel. See the instructions here:

https://github.com/ryanvolz/gnuradio-oot-template-feedstock/

PS: Shout out to Ryan!  I watched his GRCon 2021 preso on radioconda on youtube
and it's excellent work!

Regards,
Dave.

Thanks, and good luck!