gnuradio hangs during test

From: Price, Rodney D.
Subject: gnuradio hangs during test
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 17:31:25 +0000

This is another question, unrelated to the one I asked yesterday about GNU Radio on the Mac. At work I run GNU Radio 3.7 on Linux, CentOS 7. (I know this is old; our customer seems allergic to change. For the time being, I’m stuck with it.)

I’m testing an OOT Python block, a source for a signal with complex type. This block includes a queue (queue.Queue, Python 2.7) where it occasionally puts objects. My testing code gets the objects off the queue. The testing code gets 10 objects off the queue with blocking ‘get’ calls, successfully, then it does some very simple tests. In the course of these tests, the test code calls one of the block’s getter functions, just

def amplitude(self):

    return self._amplitude

At this point, GNU Radio hangs. A print statement in the getter function prints self._amplitude correctly, but then a print statement in the test code, directly after the call to ‘amplitude’, never prints. Print statements in the block’s ‘work’ function show the block’s thread entering ‘work’ and leaving ‘work’, but ‘work’ never executes again.

The flow graph I’m using in the test code is very simple:

My_source_block -> throttle -> GR’s debug tag block

I don’t know how to debug this. If the block’s thread dies for some reason, does GNU Radio just quit silently? Perhaps the block raises an exception and the block’s thread swallows it and dies some time later. I don’t know how to find out. I can’t imagine why a call to ‘amplitude’ from the test code would cause a problem, particularly when a print statement put in ‘amplitude’ prints the correct value of ‘self._amplitude’ successfully.

I’m out of ideas. Thoughts?

Thanks,

-Rod

This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain ZETA Associates confidential or proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, dissemination, or distribution of this communication is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete all copies.