Re: Collision detection and recovery

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: Collision detection and recovery
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 15:16:45 +0200

Hi Nitin,

not involved in gr-ieee802-15-4, I can maybe still comment on the collision
detection part:

On 12.06.22 09:13, Nitin Shivaraman wrote:
Since the preamble detection happens after the clock recovery mechanism, I want to know how the collision can be detected using correlation.

Yep!

To detect collision, I intend to receive the collided packet and subtract part of the correctly received packet to recover both packets correctly.

You don't even need to subtract! You're correlating, and correlation is a linear operation. When correlating for the preamble of the second packet, which lies within the first packet, you simply get as correlation the sum of the autocorrelation at timeshift 0, i.e. the energy, of the preamble (what you actually want to detect) and its autocorrelation with the first packet at the timeshift between the two packets

By design, preambles typically have high autocorrelation at \tau=0 and low for other timeshifts \tau. So, this should actually be pretty reliable, even without subtracting the other packet first! You *will* get some interference, yes, and strictly speaking, this should put your detection threshold a bit higher.

Best regards,
Marcus