Problem seeing Hackrf One Hardware properly going through VirtualBox

From: George Edwards
Subject: Problem seeing Hackrf One Hardware properly going through VirtualBox
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 11:20:54 -0500

Hello GNURadio Community,

I designed an FM receiver in Gnuradio-Companion to receive an FM broadcast signal from the Hackrf One. I am running Gnuradio-Companion 3.9 on Ubuntu 20.04 inside VirtualBox 6.1. I installed the Hackrf software on Ubuntu and set VirtualBox USB port to see the Scott Gadget Hackrf One. Problem is: when I execute the command "hackrf_info" in the Ubuntu Terminal, it reads the Board ID, Firmware Version, and Part Number, but says the hackrf_info version and libhackrf version are "unknown". This is a snapshot of the terminal response from executing the hackrf_info query:

image.png

I cannot find any info online to solve this problem (allow the Terminal query “hackrf_info” to return all the board information). As a result when I run the GRC flow graph, it fails because it cannot open hackrf. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you!

George