Re: Is there something similar to the zero-span of spectrum analyzers in

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: Is there something similar to the zero-span of spectrum analyzers in gnuradio?
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 12:08:36 -0500

On 19/12/2022 10:50, Juan Antonio wrote:
I think I'm not explaining myself well again.

What I want to see in the time domain is a single carrier of an 8mhz signal. That's why I was referring to the zero-span function of spectrum analyzers.

I have tried to isolate a single 1K carrier using filters but I did not get good results. That is why I was looking for something simpler, where simply indicating the frequency, I would have the output that specific frequency in the time domain. Something like a very narrow band  raw iq(or magnitude) demodulator
Isolating a 1KHz-wide signal from an 8MHz bandwidth in a single step is likely to create *enormous* filters.  Do you really need
  to bring in 8MHz of bandwidth?

If this were my problem, I'd use frequency-xlating-fft-filter to rotate the center of the desired carrier down to baseband, and
  then use a multi-stage filter-decimator chain to narrow the bandwidth.

I've said this in both this forum and others in the past.  Gnu Radio *IS NOT* a "radio with a lot of knobs to tweak", but a   domain-specific software-development environment.    It's somewhat rare in Gnu Radio for there to be a "button I can push to   make my answers come out".   What this means is that in order to be successful developing Gnu Radio flow-graphs   to accomplish some specific task, there's usually some amount of background in signals, signal-processing, and software
  development required.

Another things to consider is this:  the field, loosely-described, as "useful and interesting things one might do at the   intersection  between radio and computers" is likely approaching infinite.  Which means that no finite effort could   ever possibly address each one of those useful and interesting things--some coding may be required.  This same observation   applies to the software universe in general, even ignoring SDR and DSP and the like...