[Discuss-gnustep] GNUstep should remain independent of any window manage

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: [Discuss-gnustep] GNUstep should remain independent of any window manager.
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 08:03:41 -0700 (PDT)

GNUstep should simply be an API, folks.   We can go ahead
and make it into an environment, but it shouldn't be inexorably
tied to one given window manager (namely WindowMaker).  I should
have the *capability* to work w/ WindowMaker, but not to the
exclusion of all else.

One of the things I am hoping will happen, eventually, is that we
can have a "pure" GNUstep environment w/ a GNUstep based Dock.
In this case we could either use WindowMaker is a window server,
or we could have the apps draw thier own frames (as is done in
OPENSTEP) and have a small window manager for X-only apps.

Tieing GNUstep to one window manager severly restricts the users
options and will cost us users.  There are some people out there
who think AfterStep is the greatest, and won't be willing to switch.

Later, GJC

=====
Gregory John Casamento           Sr. Software Engineer