Re: [Discuss-gnustep] Localization

From: Jonathan Gapen
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnustep] Localization
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 14:33:58 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000 richard@brainstorm.co.uk wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Sep 2000 12:12:34 -0500 (CDT), jagapen@home.com wrote:
> > Oh BTW, a while back I re-wrote a huge chunk of NSUserDefaults,
> > because the old code is a minor disaster with regards to the behavior
> > described in Apple's documentation.  (I've tested it for a long time now,
> > so unless anybody has objections, I'll check it in soon.)
>
> Well - I'd strongly object if it breaks OpenStep compatibility or removes
> existing functionality.  IMO, MacOS-X compatibility needs to be added in a way
> that's compatible with OpenStep (or is a user selectable option).

    Don't worry-- NSUserDefaults hasn't changed much in Cocoa.  Apple
added an explicit [+resetStandardUserDefaults] class method, and a pair of
new methods for something called 'suites', which are not documented yet.
I've updated it to match the OpenStep spec; I just call it "Apple's
documentation" out of habit.

> Agreed - that probably means that the code is in the wrong place - it should
> probably reside in the +initialize method, and be used to set the NSLanguages
> key in NSRegistrationDomain.

    Brilliant!  That's a great compromise!  If the user hasn't explicitly
set a language preference in the user defaults, grab the settings from the
environment and stick a key in the NSRegistrationDomain.

> I think I only partially agree with you here -
> I have no problem with the notion of multiple optional NSUserDefaults systems
> that wrap 'native' systems in the OpenStep API.  The reason they aren't there
> is that nobody has contributed them, not that there is any objection to them.

    I guess there's a misunderstanding here.  I didn't mean to imply that
there are any ideological objections to GNUstep-as-API, just that the
current codebase implements an environment.  In fact, I would love to see
this code added to (optionally) blend GNUstep into other environments.

--
/Ralph Nader can win the Presidency, if we vote for him!  www.votenader.org\
\On Election Day, don't pick the Evil of two Lessers.    www.nader2000.org /