Distro news

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Distro news
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 20:36:35 +0100

Hi all,

I have made the first release of the GNUstep Linux distro LS or
LastStep.

Downloads are available from:
ftp://ftp.gnustep.net/pub/distros/ix86/linux/LS

currently in the dev directory.

The homepage of LS can be found at:

http://gnustep.stone-it.com/

To install this development version, download all packages from the
Binaries tree and the dirs.sh script from the Scripts tree.
Mount a harddisk or partition of about 600 Mb.
now run the dirs.sh with the path to the mountpoint as a parameter like:

./dirs.sh /mnt/LS

Now cd /mnt/LS
and untar etc.tar.gz, root.tar.gz, man.tar.gz, infopages.tar.gz,
dev.tar.gz and linux.tar.gz

Then cd /mnt/LS/etc/rc.d/install.d
In this directory you'll find all install scripts needed to get a up and
running system (as long as I did not make any mistakes ;)

The scripts syntax is ./scriptname <path to binaries> <path of system
mount>
So, let's assume you have downloaded the binaries in /root/download and
you mounted the new partition/hd on /mnt/LS, then you would do:
./script.sh /root/download /mnt/LS

This will install everything. I intend to write a setup.sh script that
will automate this, but this will do for the moment.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
This is system works at my system, but is not garanteed to work, not
even to correctly boot. This is just a development tree in it's very
early stage!
Everything is compiled with pentium optimization, so don't install it on
a system less then pentium.
To get X working download the XFree86 binaries and use their installer.
Now you are ready to compile the GNUstep snapshots. I didn't see the use
in supplying a compiled snapshot when this linux distro was still
unstable. Everything else should be there even libobjc...

Well that's it for now. Let me know what goes wrong, 'cause I am sure I
have forgotten things ;) Just to make you feel more comfortable.

Greetings,

Dennis Leeuw