Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)

From: Jason H Clouse
Subject: Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 02:56:34 -0500

<<Libart is a high-performance rendering library that provides a rich
imaging model. Libart's imaging model is
a superset of PostScript, and it adds support for antialiasing and alpha
compositing (transparency).
Libart is used as the core rendering engine for both the GNOME canvas and
the GNOME printing system.
It uses sophisticated techniques such as microtile arrays and sorted
vector paths to maximize performance.
Libart provides a wealth of vector path-manipulation operations, affine
transformations, antialiased and
alpha-composited vector path rendering, and functions for manipulating
Bézier paths.>>

It looks pretty good.  So, if someone has the time to implement a libart
backend, it could probably improve performance a lot.

<<There is already a working Java bridge for GNUstep!>>

We really need to exploit this somehow.  Do a little advertising for
GNUstep by way of Java.  Could we post announcements in some popular Java
hangouts and forii?  Does anyone know what keywords and phrases would
make Java developers jump up and take notice?  Perhaps PC.app will be
able to produce Java code at some point?  It could be announced as "a new
Java development environment".

Jason

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.