Re: A little help for GWorkspace

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: A little help for GWorkspace
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 02:33:03 +0100 (CET)

> Another thing you might think of is to check for updates to the current
> directory more often then checking for directories further up the
> hierarchy. For instance, check the current directory every one second, and
> check each of the parent directories every five seconds. If you can check
> the directory modification time, this would not require much processing time.

NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP did update the browser windows less frequently (once
a minute, if  I remember well), and there was a  command to update the
views at will (command-u, Window/Update).

By the way, one thing I did not like is that it was possible to delete
items  while  they were  on  the  shelf.  For example,  the  following
sequence that I intuitively did, and lead to problems:

    - move /a/b/c on the shelf.
    - delete /a/b (with command-r, unfortunately),
    - move the c on the shelf to /x/y, but what? no more c exists!?

Well, ok,  once I lost some precious  files, I took care,  but the bad
lesson learned was that the shelf was not to be trusted... I would not
mind if GWorkspace behaved differently here.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__    PGP Key ID:      0xEF5E9966                     (o_
mailto:pjb@imaginet.fr    PGP fingerprint: 00 F5 7B DB CA 51 8A AD 04 5B  //\

() Join the ASCII ribbon campaign against html email and Microsoft attachments.
/\ Software patents are endangering the computer industry all around the world.
   Join the LPF:     http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/      http://petition.eurolinux.org/