Re: NSClipview patch (was Misc. comments)

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: NSClipview patch (was Misc. comments)
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 15:35:03 +0000 (GMT)

    Malmberg> [snip]
    >> > I'd really like to remove the hack which reduces the real
    >> coordinates to > integers in NSClipView - but if you try
    >> removing the code/hack, and then > try scrolling a table view
    >> or a text view, you see it gets immediately > terrible.  If you
    >> have patches or fixes, they are welcome of course.
    >>
    >> As far as I can tell, separating scroll-coordinates and
    >> rendering-coordinates should solve the problems (no drifting,
    >> and copying for performance still works). I'll see what I can
    >> do about it.

    Malmberg> I've attached a patch that does the
    Malmberg> converts using _super_view instead (do you have to check
    Malmberg> that it's not nil?), and it fixed the drifting and the
    Malmberg> distortions (at least all cases I know of).

I am not applying this patch with the hope that we can soon remove
completely this hack of making coordinates integers.

If you have some application code which misbehaves particularly
because of these problems in the library - you can send it <the few
lines which misbehave> to me/post it on the list - with the hope it
could help me/someone else in fixing the problems.

    Malmberg> There's still a problem with scrolling when the entire
    Malmberg> clipview isn't visible. In that case, the NSCopyBits
    Malmberg> won't work since there'll be nothing to copy, and
    Malmberg> display will be messed up.

Thanks - you spotted a nice bug - I have rewritten the scrolling code
in the clipview to work with a partial visible rect too.  [If it
doesn't fix your problem with the clipview not completely visible,
please tell me.]

If the new scrolling code gives problems to anyone, please tell me and
we'll try to fix them.