Re: A killer app?

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: A killer app?
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 22:53:06 +0100

Hi,

I mostly disagree. I don't need YASW (yet-another-shell-wrapper), I'm
quite happy with bash, yast and/or available LDAP tools.
Having a UserManager doesn't give me any additional value (indeed the
additional value of the NeXTstep UserManager is not the UI, but the
netinfo backend, which I already have with PAM and LDAP).

You write that "we just need to do the same" like KDE and GNOME. This is
wrong, since those are applications where GNUstep UI can play out little
advantage - and, more important: they are already done in KDE and GNOME.
You will never get "$15 Million" if you try to do sth which is already
done twice (actually 4 to 10 times).

What I miss on Linux are productivity applications done in a consistent,
interoperable manner. Diagram, OpenWrite, Improv, Mail, OmniWeb,
WetPaint and for development, IB, PB.
These are not new concepts, but stuff which is really missing on Linux.
OpenStep in theory provides some advantages for implementing the above.

Helge