Re: libgstep_guile.so.1 in wrong location?

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: libgstep_guile.so.1 in wrong location?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 12:53:38 +0100 (BST)

> make[4]: Nothing to be done for `internal-tool-all'.
> shared_obj/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu-xgps/go -c '(load "test.scm")'
> shared_obj/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu-xgps/go: error while loading
> shared libraries:
> libgstep_guile.so.1: cannot load shared object file: No such file or
> directory

Spt - the question I don't want to ask but can't avoid - are you sure you
run the GNUstep.sh script ...

You may want to try replacing
  $(GNUSTEP_OBJ_DIR)/go -c '(load "test.scm")'
with
  opentool go -c '(load "test.scm")'
in the makefile.  This is certainly safer, we should probably
change it anyway ... hmmm ...

> that brings up another question: if this is gnustep-base-1.0.0,
> why is the library named 0.9.3?

This is a minor fault in the distribution files - the numbering is wrong -
will be fixed soon (/has already been fixed ?)

> Should these libraries be placed in
> /opt/GNUStep/System/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu with the others?

No - the difference is that

/opt/GNUStep/System/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu-xgps/

should contain libraries depending on the library-combo used, while

/opt/GNUStep/System/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu/

should not.

> If not, then what are the proper lines for /etc/ld.so.conf?
> Do we place both of the directories in /ld.so.conf?

Yes.

> Or is the convention to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

Depends on your system and your taste probably.  If you want to have two
different backends at the same time, you could get into problems with
/etc/ld.so.conf as you have two different libraries with the same name in
different locations, and want to change dynamically which one you use.
In this case, you want GNUstep.sh, openapp etc to set up your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH just before calling your executable, so that you can
freely switch between different backends.

If you are certain you will always use a single backend (or no backend at
all, if you only use non-gui stuff) instead, then I don't see why not
adding to /etc/ld.so.conf.

> In the latter case, it would be nice if the GNUstep.sh
> script was updated to reflect this as new libraries are installed in
> different locations?

The GNUstep.sh script should already add both
/opt/GNUStep/System/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu-xgps/
and
/opt/GNUStep/System/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu/
to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH.