Re: GNUmakefiles hopefully different

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: GNUmakefiles hopefully different
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 22:08:35 +0200 (CEST)

Andrew Robbins <and_j_rob@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi I'm a MacOSX user
>
> I'm trying to install GNUstep to test it out, and just play with having
> two OpenStep implementations on the same machine... =), also i'm very
> interested in seeing ProjectCenter bcome as good as or better than
> Apple's. ProjB. The problem i'm having now is that part of the makefiles
> for gnustep-base copy things to the root partition temporarily, and even
> if i'm root it gives me lots of errors. Apperently darwin has security
> issues with that. specifically, this is the problem:
>
> md5.c:26: header file 'config.h' not found
>
> but its 'mv' ing it to /, and it can't bcuz its a script and it deletes
> the config.h in the gnustep-base/Headers/gnustep/base/config.h
>
> its rather tireing to ./configure each time i want to try something to
> make it work... or copying duplicates...
> i can't find where in the GNUstep-Make system or in the GNUmakefile for
> this proj this moving thing is or if there is a macro for it...
>
> Andrew Robbins

The makefiles don't install in / when the environment is set correctly.

Use ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/GNUstep
or whatever path where you want to install GNUstep.

Use: . /usr/local/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh  (with sh like shells),
or: source /usr/local/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/GNUstep.csh (with csh like
shells)
to set the environment variable needed to compile/install/run GNUstep stuff.

You may check them with:

    env | grep GNUSTEP

For example, I have:
[pascal@thalassa pascal]$ env | grep GNUSTEP
GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT=/home/pascal/GNUstep
GNUSTEP_HOST=i686-pc-linux-gnu
GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT=/local/GNUstep/System
GNUSTEP_LOCAL_ROOT=/local/GNUstep/Local
GNUSTEP_FLATTENED=
GNUSTEP_HOST_OS=linux-gnu
GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES=/local/GNUstep/System/Makefiles
GNUSTEP_HOST_VENDOR=pc
GNUSTEP_NETWORK_ROOT=/local/GNUstep/Network
GNUSTEP_HOST_CPU=ix86
GNUSTEP_PATHPREFIX_LIST=/home/pascal/GNUstep:/local/GNUstep/Local:/local/GNUstep/Network:/local/GNUstep/System
GNUSTEP_ROOT=/local/GNUstep

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__              (o_ Software patents are endangering
()  ASCII ribbon against html email //\ the computer industry all around