Re: iconv...

From: Chris B . Vetter
Subject: Re: iconv...
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 14:16:32 -0700

On Wed, 23 May 2001 23:01:34 +0000
mirko.viviani@rccr.cremona.it wrote:
> In the FreeBSD ports there are two version of iconv. One named
> iconv-2.0.1 and one libiconv-1.1.6
> The first is made by Konstantin Chuguev and the other is the GNU version
> renamed libgiconv with giconv.h include.
> Is there any known problems or incompatibilities with these two versions
> ? Which iconv are you using on linux ?

Linux probably uses iconv.

The difference between those two is, libiconv (installed as libgiconv)
has support for Unicode.

If you install libxml2 via ports, it will automagically install libiconv.

You can either patch gnustep-base's configure to search for -lgiconv or
also install 'iconv' - libiconv and libgiconv work fine side-by-side,
though I personally prefer to "patch" configure.

--
Chris