Meaning of methodReturnType values ?

From: Laurent Julliard
Subject: Meaning of methodReturnType values ?
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:26:57 +0200

I'm playing with the GNUstep NSMethodSignature class. One of the method
available in there is methodReturnType which is supposed to tell you
about the type of the value returned by a method.

Problem is: I couldn't find an include file where the meaning of the
value returned by this method is explained. Actually it is supposed to
return a string. I can print the string ok (look like "@8@4@:" for
instance but I'm unable to make sense of it.

Avi Bryant was kind enough to direct me to the ADC (Apple Developers
Connection) site where there is some information about that but it
doesn't seem to apply to GNUstep based on what I have observed so far.
(see
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Cocoa/Reference/Foundation/ObjC_classic/TypesAndConstants/FoundationTypesConstants.html

and look for "ObjC Types" in the document)

Any help/pointer or code samples would be really appreciated.

Laurent

--
Laurent JULLIARD - XR&T Technology and Alliances Office -  Open Source
team