OT: Window manager configuration

From: Stefan Böhringer
Subject: OT: Window manager configuration
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 22:20:58 +0200

Hello all,

though I´m fiddling around with Linux for some years, I must consider myself
a novice on many topics.
Still I frequently experience great trouble when changing the X/Window
manager configuration. I tried to upgrade my X server with some rpm from
rpmfind.net but was left without a login. Fortunately reinstalling the
Redhat supplied rpms gave me back the login. However I´m greeted now with
the message that no gnome compliant window manager is running. I fire up the
GNOME control center, switch to Enlightment and back to Window Maker and
have my environment back. However the background icons (File Manager,...)
are no longer in the background but are in front of the panel.

... and so on (longing for a complete GNUStep distribution ;-).

It may be my ignorance but I also had trouble installing WindowMaker from
the source distribution from it´s web site though I followed installation
instructions exactly. The problem is probably that the Redhat xdm bypasses
the .xinitrc/.xsession files. I ended up using the Redhat supplied switching
solution. If I only could get rid of the gnome panel now...

If there is not only me who went through this configuration pain I would
suggest adding some sections like: Configuring RedHat/suse/... for use with
GNUstep on some website.
If somebody can offer some suggestions on some of the problems mentioned
above I would be grateful as well :-).

Best wishes,

        Stefan