Re: evangilizing Mac developers

From: Ian Jones
Subject: Re: evangilizing Mac developers
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 20:05:25 +0000

Chris B. Vetter wrote:

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 17:38:23 +0200
Aurelien <aurelien@fractals.be> wrote:

An article in last month Wired magazine is literaly burying
Linux desktop efforts. The author says Linux simply isn't a
desktop platform,

He's right, IMHO.

I beg to differ, I have used linux as my primary desktop operating system for the last 2 years and I'm far more happy than I ever was with a microsoft operating system as I have greater freedom of choice. The thing I love about linux is it can be whatever you make it, wheather it be web/mail server, desktop, firewall/gateway. True it requires you to be slightly more computer savy than say using macOS, OSX or a microsoft operating system but I believe it is worth it for that much extra freedom, if you start making all linux distributions very easy to install you will start loosing configurability, which is why many more advanced users use it in the first place, or end up with a huge install which many people critisize redhat for but they are at least trying. When I recently installed redhat 7.1 on a machine I was amazed at how far things had come (being a slackware user myself). I'm no great fan of redhat and its variants I must admit but that is just a matter of personal preference. If I imagine myself back when I started to use linux I would have been greatful of such an easy install to help get me going. I feel that the only real way to go in this sense is to create linux based distributions that are primarily intended for desktop use, I have read of a gentleman developing LastStep? I very much think this is a 'step' (pardon the punn) in the right direction, I would love if I could have my desktop setup right out the box / off the CD instead of it taking me a day or so to get all my basics installed and working after an install (windowmaker, GNUstep, xchat, and several of my more commonly used apps). Also making these packages easily and stably upgradable through a nice GUI packagetool would be a boon. The moral of this story is linux can be whatever you want it to be. It is neither one thing or the other, it leaves you to decide. I don't see any reason that what has been done with OSX can't be done on top of a linux platform instead of a bsd one, if the will is strong enough and enough people are interested then it will happen. I myself would be willing to give my free time to any such development.

*step is becoming more and more a known platform and I think
it's really sad that Linux doesn't get real benefits from this.

I think this is a good point, the man is just saying it would be good if linux was to benefit from *step, I think he is perfectly aware that it is a cross platform development environment. I agree that it would be good for linux in promoting the availability of such a complete and easy to use development environment for the platform, and as linux is such a popular platform this has to be good for GNUstep too.

What exactly does Linux in particular have to do with *step?
Guys, stop thinking that Open/Free Software is JUST Linux. It
won't help the cause.

Example:
The other day, I heard someone saying "xv is a Linux application"
'scuse me - xv has been around FAR longer...

This kind of attitude WILL eventually piss off a lot of people.

GNUstep should also  be FAR more easy to install...

True

I think my first comment covers this.

I also think that Mac developers could be reluctant to port
their apps to GNUstep given its dull appearance (compared to
Aqua, that is).

What's so appealing about that Comic- errr Aqua-Look anyway...

This kind of comment helps nothing IMHO, I commend any attempt to link resources with other developers, aqua looks very nice though it may not be to everyones taste. I think that once GNUstep developers have less pressing issues then maybe they will start looking at giving the option of different themes.

Appropriate theme-ing can improve the appearance of GNUstep
apps to some extend, and maybe a better default theme could
make current screenshots more sexy.

...and what could look sexier than NeXT/OpenStep ???

I think my above comment covers this.

Again, no flamewar intended - just my thoughts.

I very much think that some comments and genuine attempts to do the right thing are read out of context on mailing lists.
I think maybe this was one of those times.
This is my first post to the group and I hope I have not spoken out of place, but with genuine feeling and for the good of GNUstep, linux and all opensource software, though I'm sure I will be made aware of it if I have [;)]

Regards, Ian

--
GNUMail 0.7.0