Suggestion for website + desperate cry for help (installation hassle)

From: Andersson, Claes
Subject: Suggestion for website + desperate cry for help (installation hassle)
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 22:45:29 +0100 (CET)

Hi!

First of all I'd like to say that this seems great. GNUstep that is. But I think
it may be difficult for newbies, like yours truly, to pick up what it is. The
only reason why it caught my eye is cause I've drooled over the Cocoa specs on
occasion (being a x86-man myself). Also, I'm way too young to even have seen one
of those black thingies ol' folks get all dreamy in their eyes over. So I
figured it would be kinda neat to put up one of those little ol'
OS-architecture-schematics on the www.gnustep.org-site, for folks to grasp the
idea quickly. You know, the ones with typically a (micro)kernel at the bottom,
and then the HAL ontop or whatever, and then some and then some. And then
GNUstep. Right under the applications. Right? (Or maybe I've missed the point
completely ;)

Anyhow, that's one. It may be that I'm getting ahead of my self when I say
"Bravo!" as I have not succeded in installing it yet. When I try to make the
gnustep-gui-0.7.0 package on my GNU/Linux/x86-setup, it fails with following
message:

make[3]: *** [example.service/Resources/Info-gnustep.plist] Error 1
make[2]: *** [example.build] Error 2
make[1]: *** [example.all.svc.variables] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/gnustep-gui-0.7.0/Tools'
make: *** [internal-all] Error 2

Also, the linker keeps whining though I suspect this is not an issue (why? beats
me). As I said, I'm a newbie at most of these things, my main programming
experience is with small academic utils, but I aim to extend my programming
skills with Objective-C since it promises to wrap up these thingies in nice GUI
and all with little hassle, with the help of GNUstep. Right?

Maybe the momentum gained from the relative ease of Cocoa is enough to establish
GNUstep in the non-Apple world, but to be on the safe side, it is best to start
spitting out apps. So please, help me, and I'll try to do just that. I've got
too much time on my hands... :))

Sincerely yours,

Claes Andersson