Re: Program hangs after [NSConnection release]

From: Richard
Subject: Re: Program hangs after [NSConnection release]
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 10:41:08 +0000

Gerrit Van Dyk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am running an application that connects to a server via NSConnection. It
> registers a connection for each logged in user so that other programs can
> communicate with this specific logged on user. When the user logges out the
> Connection needs to be removed. When I release the connection the program
> just hangs and never returns. A stack trace of the program follows. Where
> should I look or what should I do to not get this behaviour? I am running on
> Redhat 7.1 with the egcs compatibility compiler.
>
> #0  0x40606b99 in objc_msg_lookup () at eval.c:41
> #1  0x4053f09b in -[NSPortNameServer(GNUstep) removePort:] () at eval.c:41
> #2  0x4052eeb6 in -[NSPort invalidate] () at eval.c:41
> #3  0x40532d65 in -[GSTcpPort invalidate] () at eval.c:41
> #4  0x4052f0ce in -[NSPort release] () at eval.c:41

I have never seen this prolem (and I use DO a *lot*) ... but, looking at
the
source I can see that a port invalidation could loop indefinately if the
port
has been manually removed from the name server, or if the gdomap process
with
which it was registered has been killed while the program was running.
I've committed a fix which should (I think) cope with either of those
circumstances - making the code remove the port name from the internal
tables, even if gdomap reports that it is unable to perform the
deregistration.