Re: NSInvocations (was Re: PROPOSAL: Objective-C++)

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: NSInvocations (was Re: PROPOSAL: Objective-C++)
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 18:24:59 +0100

Stephen Brandon wrote:

> On Tuesday 20 Nov 2001 8:59 am, Helge wrote:
> I'm trying to do some tricky things with delegate message passing between
> threads via DO at the moment, and have just discovered the joy of
> NSInvocations. What do you mean exactly by saying that it's difficult to have
> on all platforms?

NSInvocation does decode and encode stack/register frames. How stack
frames are laid out is probably one of the most architecture dependend
things in computing ;-)

In other words: NSInvocation basically needs to be rewritten for *any*
platform by a guy who knows core-assember on that platform ;-)

> Is there any platform that it currently does not work on,
> that GNUstep does otherwise work on?

Lots. Anyway, since some months GNUstep supports the use of libffcall as
the NSInvocation backend. libffcall does the NSInvocation stuff for
quite a lot of platforms (search for libffcall on google), so the issue
isn't as huge anymore.

> It's really important for my purposes
> that it works on Win32 (MinGW). Can anyone re-assure me in this regard?

I don't think ix86/Win32 is a problem for libffcall, so this should work
out just fine.

BTW: AFAIK some argument combinations on some platforms can't be decoded
at all !

Greetings
  Helge
--
SKYRIX Software AG - http://www.skyrix.com
Web Application Technology for Enterprises