Re: questions about GNUstep

From: Willem Rein Oudshoorn
Subject: Re: questions about GNUstep
Date: 22 Nov 2001 00:02:30 +0100

"e.sammer" <eric@lifeless.net> writes:

> 2. The Makefiles package

Well, personally I dislike the autoconf automake system.  It is
probably just me, but it happens quite often that `configure' can not
find a library or just dumps with a syntax error etcetera.  And the
problem with such a complicated automated system is that it is almost
impossible to compile something if `configure' breaks down.

Also lots of projects that use these tools do not really use the
checking, like `configure' checks for HAVE_XXXX and the projects just
ignore this :-(.

Arguably you can also call the GNUstep make package complicated, but
it is much easier to use and you can read the makefile to see what is
meant, so even if a GNUstep makefile does not work I can work around
it.

Sorry if this appears to be a rant against the autoconf automake
system, but I have fought against it too much.  And it is probably
just me being to dumb.

> 5. Compatibility Within?
>
> ...  Maybe what we need is a formal project that is a "supported" or
> "sponsored" framework for MOSX(S) / NeXT to promote compatibility,
> use, and acceptance of GNUstep.

Well, it will be a lot of work.  And I do not know if the demand is
really that high.  How many people are developing a distributed
crossplatform product involving MOSX and GNUstep?  Remember that
GNUstep has only a GUI on X.

The only way I can see this happening is if CORBA will be wrapped
in a `NSConnection'.  This has also uses outside the OpenStep
world.

BTW there is a very tiny change that I will have to implement this.

Wim Oudshoorn