Creating "Additional" makefiles

From: Stephen Brandon
Subject: Creating "Additional" makefiles
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 11:48:59 +0000

Hi,

I'm getting to the stage with SndKit and MusicKit that each and every
project based on these kits need a number of GNUmakefile customisations.

Eg all SndKit programs need -lshout -lmp3lib, unless the target platform is
MINGW32; and at present I conditionally compile SndView.m into the SndKit
ONLY on non-win32 platforms (it's the only AppKit subclass, and there are
problems getting AppKit subclasses to be recognised at runtime on
GNUstep/Win32).

I think it's time I made a "sndkit.make" and "mkperformsndmidi.make" and put
them into Makefiles/Additional/ so that I don't need to specify these things
in projects' individual makefiles. I'm also starting to work on an autoconfig
setup that will determine certain characteristics of the host(/target?)
environment and write these additional makefiles accordingly.

Is there somewhere that documents what to put in the Additional makefiles and
how to use them? What I want to do is to be able to automatically identify
which of the frameworks/libraries are being used (MKPerformSndMIDI, SndKit,
MKDSP, MusicKit) and add -l and -D flags accordingly.

I suppose one way to do this would be to write a couple of new major
makefiles such as SndKit_tool.make, MusicKit_tool.make, SndKit_app.make etc
etc, but it sounds like overkill to me. It would be easier to simply ask
MK/SK authors to add a particular variable in their makefiles to define
whether the project uses only MKPerformSndMIDI, that + SndKit, all that +
MusicKit, or all that + MKDSP (stack of dependant frameworks/libraries), then
the Additional/*.make files could pick this up and deal with it accordingly.

How does that sound, from an elegance/correctness point of view? Are there
other more official ways of achieving what I'm trying to do?

NOTE: although I'd love to be able to avoid using autoconf/configure to set
up some of these things, the fact that developers and users are going to have
to have certain 3rd party libraries installed means that we've got to be able
to ensure that they're there, and configure accordingly. If anyone has got
any suggestions to get around this, I'd be happy to listen.

Cheers,
Stephen Brandon
stephen@brandonitconsulting.co.uk