Re: White background in icons and WM integration

From: Chris B . Vetter
Subject: Re: White background in icons and WM integration
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 10:08:15 -0800

On Tue, 4 Dec 2001 09:14:01 +0000
Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote:
[...]
> There isn't really any window maker dependency ... but there is
> code to make use of window-maker specific features, to tell window
> maker how to behave nicely with the GNUstep app. This allows window
> maker to be better behaved than other window managers are.

My point exactly.

core/xgps/Source/SharedX/XGContextWindow.m has a couple of statements
that are specifically written for interaction with WMaker.
eg:
checkWindowManager(Display) checks for _WINDOWMAKER_WM_PROTOCOLS

I'm not complaining (much), I like Window Maker, but ... if anyone
seriously considers writing a window-manager for GNUstep in ObjC,
making use of GNUstep's API, (s)he will have to "emulate" Window
Maker's behaviour, just to get around and have GNUstep trick into
believing the user is in fact running Window Maker ... I don't like
that idea at all.

--
Chris