Re: GNUMail.app buglets or misconceptions (fwd)

From: Ludovic Marcotte
Subject: Re: GNUMail.app buglets or misconceptions (fwd)
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 12:27:37 -0500 (EST)

Hi Dale,

>       * Once I've opened the Addressbook I can't get
>         rid of the bloody thing. If I kill it, it
>         instantly re-incarnates when I click on the
>         main window again.

The address book window is closable from the window's title bar. The
window is created with the NSClosableWindowMask so it should be closable.
Are you using WindowMaker?

>       * You might want to integrate the port usage
>         with the iptables people. I had to add
>         separate rules for port 538 and for the
>         proxy it sets up. (I firewall lo for
>         anti-trojan defense).

Can you elaborate more on this please?

>       * is there some place to drop in my
>         .NeXT/mailalias file so I can use my
>         old Address book?

Not currently. The current address book offers basic functionnalities. The
goal is/was to provide basic address book support while requiring no other
application for providing this capability.

I will surely keep a minimal address book in GNUMail.app but offer the
possibility to 'communicate' with an other application that will offer
many more contact management related functionalities (like PalmOS
synchronization, LDAP support and more).

>       * Mailboxes doesn't seem to want to let
>         me add a new mailbox path. When I try
>         it tells me You Must Select A Valid Root
>         Where to Create This Mailbox, but it
>         doesn't seem to give me an option for
>         giving it that root.

Currently, you can only have one "local store" containing one level of
folders. A local store is mainly a directory in which we store mboxes.

By default, it's located in ~/gnumail but you can change it via the
LOCALMAILDIR user default. See the FAQ on:

http://www.collaboration-world.com/gnumail/

Questions 2.1 / 2.2.

I'll try to add subfolders support in 1.0.0pre2 for local mboxes.

If you have any other problems, feature requests or suggestions, please
email me directly!

Thanks a lot,

Ludovic

--