NSMacintoshInterfaceStyle.. again

From: Daniel Patrick
Subject: NSMacintoshInterfaceStyle.. again
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 01:00:16 -0600

Hello,

I've been playing with the NSMacintoshInterfaceStyle menu's again. I have managed to convince resize and drawing to take horizontal menu's into consideration when doing their thing. I've also added tear-off menu's, using a small strip along the top of submenu's. Is it big enough?

At this point, an apple-type menu could be placed at the upper left of the screen. I don't think it serves any real purpose in OSX, it's a good place for the Apple logo to sit. I suppose it could contain the contents of Local/Apps and System/Apps as an easy laucher. Does anyone think puting a (GNUstep) logo'd menu there would cause any problems, legal or otherwise?

The menubar could be extended across the whole screen, but it seems pointless until NSSatusBar and NSStatusBarItem have been ported. NSStatusBarItem has not yet been documented by Apple, and they seem to be discouraging it's use... Anyways, when (if) these get ported, an App could duplicate the function of OS9's running-apps drop-down and display the current app as a default. I'll start on them as soon as I'm comfortable with that sort of work.. Maybe tomorrow. ( ;

I've got a screenshot and a patch for anyone interested:

screenshot: http://www.webology.org/daniel/macstyle2.jpg
patch: http://www.webology.org/daniel/macstyle.20020205.patch

it patched today's (20020206) snapshot with no complaints, but changes were actually made to 20020202.

this does not break the standard menu's, at least as far as I've been able to tell. To activate it, use the command:

defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSInterfaceStyleDefault NSMacintoshInterfaceStyle

Regards,

Daniel