Re: Question about the "look" of GNUstep

From: anstouh
Subject: Re: Question about the "look" of GNUstep
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 17:17:14 +1100 (EST)

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, JW wrote:

> I'm just wondering if there's any plans, works in progress or hopes to
> "upgrade" GNUstep's "looks", add theme support or anything to make it
> look a little nicer, more modern?
>
> Is there any possibility of using QT/KDE widgets, maybe via some sort
> of binding/wrapper/bridge or whatever you want to call it? I'm wild
> over Aqua but I'm sure due to Apple's harsh legal actions in the past,
> anything that looks remotely like Aqua on a non-Apple platform it
> totally "out". IMHO KDE is the second nicest looking thing after Aqua,
> that's why I thought I'd mention it.

I'm not a programmer or GNUstep developer either, I just like the idea of
it and it's a *lot* faster than KDE and Gnome and other such things and
seems like an interesting platform to learn programming on, however I do
read faqs :)

The GNUstep UI is divided into two parts, and it's the backend that
determines the display, I understand. A new backend could be written that
used KDE widgets to display stuff. I got this knowledge from the question
about the application kit being implemented in GTK in the GNUstep faq. Of
course, if I'm wrong, don't fry me, this is just what I got from the faq!

I'm just wondering---how would menus be implement if such an idea were
adopted? Would they come up as standard GTK/KDE/Windows/Motif/Whatever
menus, or would they be NeXTSTEP-style ones in a GTK/KDE/Windows/
Motif/Whatever widget-style?

Also, if it was implemented, it'd obey the theme rules of the thing it was
coded as, would it? If I had MacOS-style menu bars in KDE, I'd get
MacOS-style menu bars in GNUstep apps, yes?

Tristan