Fwd: [quite OT] portability of NS-framework

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Fwd: [quite OT] portability of NS-framework
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 03:50:31 +0100

Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:

Von: Peter Horn <hornp@upb.de>
Datum: Fre, 08. Feb. 2002  10:36:51 Europe/Berlin
An: ocs@ocs.cz
Kopie: cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com
Betreff: Re: [quite OT] portability of NS-framework

Hi!

Right, *BUT* if the portability is concern, GCC is the best thing available -- there's no sensible reason to use other compilers and solve compatibility
problems! If LGPL is acceptable, with GNUStep it's excellent.

It seems you have a reasonable amount of experience with Cocoa and GNUStep, therefore I'd like to ask you (and the rest of the list) some questions.

We are developing a commercial application and want to provide ONE frontend for all platforms. Currently my colleagues suggest using the QT framework, but I don't think, that is a clever idea.

- Did you ever do cross-platform-development (Win, Un*x, Linux, Mac) with Cocoa (on Mac) and GNUStep (for the rest)?
- Is it reasonable to give it a try?
- Does GNUStep support OpenGL?
- Do you think that GNUStep will be around for a long time (>= 5 years)?
- Is GNUStep just a hobbyists framework or is it reliable?

Thanks in advance,
        Peter