Window managers and GNUstep

From: anstouh
Subject: Window managers and GNUstep
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 16:23:28 +1100 (EST)

Both AfterStep and GNU Window Maker make a reference to GNUstep on their
webpages but neither use GNUstep (although they both store user data in
~/GNUstep). GWorkspace seems to have support for things normally left to
window managers (a root menu, application launching stuff and the process
list stuff).

I was wondering if there was going to be a GNUstep window manager? Is that
what GWorkspace is supposed to be in the end? GNU Window Maker seems to
have some level of GNUstepity in it---a GNUstep application's appicon, for
example, shows the main menu when you right-click it. Is it intended that
GNU Window Maker be made to use GNUstep? (I don't know, some sort of merge
between WINGs and GNUstep... although I guess WINGs will no longer be
NGs then.)

Mostly, I like GNU Window Maker. There are some things about it---for a
start, it doesn't have an identical look and feel---that I'm not too fond
of, and things like how GWorkspace has the fiend and GNU Window Maker has
the clip. I wouldn't mind seeing the two brought together (although they
don't necessarily have to be the same application, they could just work
together.)

Tristan