Re: Proposition for a Gorm feature Was: Gorm too complex

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: Proposition for a Gorm feature Was: Gorm too complex
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 13:38:24 +0100

<Lars.Sonchocky-Helldorf@bbdo-interone.de>
>> Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 22:09:23 +0100
>>
>> > (ever tried to get a useful diff out of .nibs ? ;-).
>>
>> maybe use nibtool to convert the nibs in something readable first?
>>
>> Greetings, Lars
>
>Well, can  nibtool convert  back to nib  the text form?  Otherwise, it
>would not be usefull to diff and merge the text form (think CVS).

Yes:

Welcome to Darwin!
[localhost:~] lhelldor% man nibtool
man: Formatting manual page...

NIBTOOL(1)                                             NIBTOOL(1)

NAME
       nibtool - prints, verifies, and updates nib files.

SYNOPSIS
       nibtool -[achjrsvdtpwWxBILOPCV8Rf?]  nibfile

DESCRIPTION
       nibtool lets you print, update, and verify the contents of
       a nib file from the command line.

       You can use nibtool to produce text  desciptions  for  two
       different  versions  of the same nib file and then compare
       them with diff.

       The output of nibtool is produced in standard  plist  for-
       mat.

       The  default  output  encoding  of nibtool is UTF-16.  The
       output/input format  is  controlled  with  the  --utf8  or
       --macosroman flags.

OPTIONS
       -c, --classes
              Prints  the  local classes created in nibfile and a
              list of outlets and actions of the classes.   (Does
              not apply to Carbon Nib files)

       -h, --hierarchy
              Prints  the  object  hierarchy  in  nibfile This is
              equivalent  to  the  outline  view   in   Interface
              Builder.

       -j, --objects
              Prints  the  settings of all of the objects in nib-
              file.

       -x, --connections
              Prints the connections in nibfile.  Llist  of  out-
              lets  and actions for all of the objects in the nib
              file.  (Does not apply to Carbon Nib files)

       -a, --all
              Prints the classes, object hierarchy,  object  val-
              ues, and connections in the nibfile It's equivalent
              to -chjx.

       -L, --localizable-strings
              Prints the localizable strings in nibfile in  plist
              format.

       -B, --bundle bundle
              Loads  bundle before loading nibfile This is useful

Apple Computer, Inc.       Oct 31 2001                          1

NIBTOOL(1)                                             NIBTOOL(1)

              if nibfile requires a class in bundle.  to load.

       -O, --use-oids
              Use unique object identifiers instead of the object
              tiles  in  localizatioin  dictionary. If the object
              has more than  one  localization  string  possible,
              then  the  key  will  look like oid.# where # is an
              integer. If the input dictionary was  created  with
              this  option,  then  the input dictionary will only
              work if it is read in with this option.

       -P, --palette palette
              Loads palette before loading nibfile This is useful
              if  nibile  contains  a  class  defined in palette.
              nibtool will by default load in all  palettes  that
              the  user  has  selected  to  load  into  Interface
              Builder.

       -C, --convert old new
              Convert all custom clases in nibfile that have pre-
              fix  old  into  new.  Can  be  used  to convert all
              classes whos name begins with  com.apple.yellow  to
              now  be  prefixed by com.apple.cocoa or all classes
              that have the prefix XY to now have the prefix  XZ.

       -w, --write new-nibfile
              Updates nibfile to the latest nib version and write
              it out to new-nibfile

       -W, --Write new-nibfile
              Updates nibfile to the latest nib version and write
              it  out  to new-nibfile (Overwrite new-nibfile even
              if it already exits)

       -r, --resave
              Perform all the operations specified on the command
              line  on  nibfile and save it back over writing the
              original file. This option can be used to  "update"
              the objects to the newest version in the AppKit.

       -s, --silent
              Silent  mode.  Only verifies the nibfile and prints
              only errors.

       -v, --verbose
              Verbose mode a full report is printed.

       -d, --dictionary strings
              Upon loading, translate strings using the  strings-
              file strings as dictionary.

       -p, --previous nibfile
              When  translating, make use of information from the
              previous  nibfile.   This   option   is   used   in

Apple Computer, Inc.       Oct 31 2001                          2

NIBTOOL(1)                                             NIBTOOL(1)

              conjunction with the -t option.

       -t, --translation nibfile
              When  translating, make use of information from the
              previous translation nibfile If the  -p  option  is
              used the layout information is used from the previ-
              ous nibfile given  in  the  -p  option  above.  But
              strings  that  could not be found in the dictionary
              are obtained from nibfile given on the command line
              to  -t,  must be used to the -p option otherwise it
              is equivalent to the -L option

       -I, --incremental nibfile
              When translating, make use  of  layout  information
              from  the  previous localization nibfile.  Maintain
              the layout merging from previous nib  file  in  the
              newly created file.

       -8, --utf8
              set  the  encoding  of  the  output/input  to UTF-8
              default is Unicode (UTF-16). The  default  encoding
              expected for the input is UTF-16.

       -R, --macosroman
              set the encoding of the output/input to MacOSRoman.
              (twobyte characters are escaped.)

       -f, --fontcheck nibfile
              set the font of the objects in the current nib file
              to the same fonts as used in nibfile

       -V, --version
              Print out the Build Version of the program.

       -?, --help
              Print out the usage message.

EXAMPLES
       nibtool -a file.nib
       nibtool -L file.nib > file.strings
       nibtool -w nFile.nib -d file.strings file.nib
       nibtool -I oFile.nib -w nFile.nib -d file.strings file.nib

       The  First  command  generates  an ascii representation of
       file.nib.  The Second  generates  localization  dictionary
       for file.nib.  The Third  reloads in the localization dic-
       tionary and writes out a  new  file  nFile.nib.  The  last
       example  uses  the layout information in oFile.nib and the
       strings file file.strings to generate nFile.nib. The  last
       example is used when the develoepr has added a new control
       to file.nib but all of the nib  files  have  already  been
       localized  (ie  the  size of the controls has already been
       adjusted), this command will make the size of the  objects

Apple Computer, Inc.       Oct 31 2001                          3

NIBTOOL(1)                                             NIBTOOL(1)

       in  nFile.nib  match  the  sizes  of  the  same objects in
       oFile.nib.

SEE ALSO
       diff(1)

BUGS
       You cannot regenerate a  nib  file  using  the  output  of
       nibtool.

       Since  nibtool requires the window server to be running so
       it can get font information, you cannot use  nibtool  when
       logged  in  to  another  machine  over telnet or logged in
       under console mode.

Apple Computer, Inc.       Oct 31 2001                          4

[localhost:~] lhelldor%

greetings, Lars