Re: 2-bytes character display ready ?

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: 2-bytes character display ready ?
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:53:06 +0000

> In PostScript, a 'string' is explicitly defined as an array of integers,
> each in the range 0 to 255 ie an array of bytes.

Hmm, so how are characters outside that range represented ? Are they
in UTF-8 ?

> The DPSshow() function is a convenience for simple nul terminated C
> strings ... and can't pass the full set of postscript strings we need to use.

Could we not treat the argument as if it were UTF-8, which is then backwards
compatible with ASCII and doesnt require an extra interface ?

Just some speculations - I have my own set of ObjC foundation classes I
wrote to use at work, and I keep things in UTF-8 for
convenienece, which seems to workO.K. I havent llooked at how to communicate
this to PS though.

-bat.