Re: NSWindow retains cycle

From: Tom Hageman
Subject: Re: NSWindow retains cycle
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 21:39:12 +0100

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002 18:40:49 +0000 (GMT), Nicola Pero wrote:
> I mean, if you do the following -
>
> mouse-click on a view so that it is the first responder.
> press a keyboard key in it - keep the key pressed.
> move to the mouse to another view (while still keeping the key pressed).
> mouse-click on this new view, making it the first responder.
> release the keyboard key.
>
> Does the keyUp: go to the first view or to the second view ? Can someone
> with MacOS X test this ?

Can't speak for MacOS X yet, but on NEXTSTEP / OPENSTEP, the repeat key
events (and the final key-up, I suppose) go to the new view after the
mouse click. (The behaviour of NEXTSTEP and OPENSTEP-based apps is the
same.)

> And what happens if the second view is in another window ? In this case,
> I don't see how we can send the keyUp: to the original view, since the
> event is queued in a completely different window !

Same as above.

> Even harder - what happens if the user switches to another (possibly
> non-gnustep) application while still holding down the key ?  The keyUp:
> would never be sent to the original view simply because it's queued to a
> third-party application.

Same as above.  I couldn't test the non-NEXT/OPENSTEP app case,
obviously;-)  Works fine between NEXTSTEP and OPENSTEP apps.

--
__/__/__/__/  Tom Hageman  <trh@xs4all.nl> (home)  [NeXTmail/Mime OK]
  __/ __/_/         <t.hageman@proteon.nl> (work)  [Mime OK]