Re: bug in modal windows ?

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: bug in modal windows ?
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 15:16:53 +0100

Hi Stef,

"Peron, Stéphane" wrote:
> When I use a modal loop to display a window in modal mode, this last one is
> not always displayed in the front of the mother window ...
> I mean when I display a modal window in this way and I go in one other
> workspace of WindowMaker, when I come back on the first workspace, my modal
> window in behind the "mother" window.
> Very boring !!!!
>
> Well, I don't know Appkit, so I don't want to say horrors,  but It seems
> that there is no hierarchy in windows display ..... very annoying for gui
> library ..

things are a bit more complicated. We currently don't use specific means
to keep a modal window on top of its parent window. What GNUstep uses is
window levels, where we have a specific level for modal windows
NSModalPanelWindowLevel. This level is specified for the modal windows
by the [NSApplication beginModalSessionForWindow:], but only if that
window is a subclass of NSPanel.
For this levels to be visible for a user the window manager must support
them. This is currently implemented in xgps for WindowMaker and all EWMH
window managers (KDE2, Gnome etc.). But of course it is even for those
window managers up to them, what they do with does hints.

So if you happen to have a modal window that is a panel and your window
manager supports levels and the window is still not on top of its parent
even then it is not clear who is to blame. I know that this does not
help, but knowing the correct framework you might be willing to dive
deeper into the actual code.

Cheers
Fred