Re: NSUnarchiver extensions

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: NSUnarchiver extensions
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 14:27:53 +0000

On Tuesday, February 26, 2002, at 02:58 PM, Pierre-Yves Rivaille wrote:

I tried this before too, but it was segfaulting too (it is the same problem as before, trying to access info without checking it is nil, I've just corrected it in CVS).

Thanks.

Anyway I just thought that the new methods could prove useful, but I agree i might not be that useful outside tricky situations where other cleaner tricks might also work.

Well, as far as policy on extending the framework goes, I used to think there were
two legitimate reasons for that -

1. functionality that the base library needs internally can be made public too - where
it's useful.

2. important functionality that has to be tightly integrated with the library in order
to get decent performance.

I no longer really believe that (1) is a good justification, and I'm really thinking about how to separate out things that I was previously guilty of putting in (XML parsing being the most obvious thing). The increasing number of people wanting to maintain portability with MacOS-X has been a major factor in my change of mind on this.

I still think that (2) is valid, but that the judgment of what is important should
not be too generous :-)