ScrollWheel, Xdps and NSEvent modification

From: Pierre-Yves Rivaille
Subject: ScrollWheel, Xdps and NSEvent modification
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 00:20:28 +0100

Hello,

I've just commited modifications to support scrollwheel under GNUstep, but there are a few points i would like to discuss.

1. I 've added deltaX, deltaY, deltaZ support in NSEvent, so i added a class method named

+mouseEventWithType:location:modifierFlags:timeStamp:windowNumber:context:deltaX:deltaY:deltaZ:
i made this class public even though it does not exist in Openstep or in MOSX doc, because it seems really consistent with the other class methos. Does this seem ok ?
(this one is for you, Richard :-) )

2. NSMouseMoved and NS*MouseDragged event do now use deltaX, deltaY and deltaZ. It's not using eventNumber, clickCount and pressure anymore. It's not raising an exception if you call those methods on those kind of events, but it will soon (once i'm sure it does not break anyone's code). I doubt anyone use those features, but you never know.

3. What should be the default behaviour associated with NSScrollWheen event ?
right now we have (in NSScrollView)
- scrollwheel -> lineScrolling
- alternate+scrollwheel -> pagScrolling
Martin Brecher suggested adding "shift+ ..." as a horizontal scrolling (like in GIMP), does anyone disagree on this point ? (i guess so ...)
Anyway i think we should have GNUstep defaults for this kind of thing.

4. Can someone test the code on Xdps ? (i don't have dgs running, so i can see if there is any problems)

thank you,

        Pierre-Yves