Re: Possible bug in NSFileManager

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Possible bug in NSFileManager
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 06:10:02 +0000

On Saturday, March 9, 2002, at 12:20 AM, e.sammer wrote:

i've been using NSFileManager to do quite a bit of work. it seems that NSFileManager doesn't handle symlinks properly. i know that linkPath:toPath:handler: is not implemented (as seen in NSFileManager.m), but in copyFile: it does not respect symlinks at all. according to the MOSX docs (and in my MOSX tests) copyPath:toPath: should maintain a symlink. i've looked in the docs that talk about the differences between GS and MOSX / OpenStep and there's no mention of this.

I assume you mean in [copyPath:toPath:handler:] (there is no copyFile: method) ... it should work there.

As far as I can see from quick look over the code, it should honor the documentation to the letter -
but the documentation is not completely unambiguous :-(

Could you provide a small test program to demonstrate your problem.

While the code seems to conform to the letter of the documentation, I'm not at all sure it does the most intuitive/useful thing. It seems to be preserving the original symbolic links - but I'd have thought it made more sense, if a link pointed to somewhere within the path being copied, for the new symbolic link to be made to the appropriate location within the copied structure.

> is there a fundamental problem with symlinks that i'm not aware of?
> i know GS is meant to be portable and some systems do notsupport them,
> but there seems to be half of the implementation in place which leads me
> to believe it could just be an oversight.

I guess few people use them, and thus no comparison between actual MacOS-X behavior and GNUstep behavior has been made. I'd be very happy to apply patches to fix this to provide the same real (as opposed to documented) behavior - as long as the real MacOS-X behavior is not clearly
a bug of course.