Re: gtk+ backend

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: gtk+ backend
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 14:26:13 +0000 (GMT)

> As I remember http://gnustep.org/ site has changed since the end of last
> year. If I am not mistaken there was a GTK+ backend for GNUstep. I'd
> like to see it very much but couldn't find it. No matter if it is very
> obsolete and completely unusable. Could anyone please point it to me?

Yep - I think the FAQ were misleading about this ... so I'll try to
explain a bit.

basically a gtk+ backend does not make sense. (explanation - the gui
library is drawing widgets, managing events, etc according to the OpenStep
AppKit API - which describes precisely the widget object hierarchy, how
they interact etc and that is different from gtk+; the gui library is
using the backend to perform the actual drawing primitives (drawing lines
or rendering text of images), the actual event primitives (receiving
keyboard/mouse events), the window primitives (creating windows, closing
resizing mapping them etc - so you can have a different backend providing
a different implementation of the basic primitives, but the higher gui
layer, built on top of this basic layer, is the same on all
platforms/backends.).

A gdk backend might make some sense, but we have none.

There is a project of having an Objective-C (and gnustep-base) based
wrapper library for gtk+, which is called gtoolkit.  I don't know the
state of this library, but you can easily find out about it by searching
on the web.