Re: ANNOUNCE: GNUMail.app 1.0.1

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: GNUMail.app 1.0.1
Date: Sat, 04 May 2002 00:23:36 +0200

Nerijus Baliunas wrote:

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 10:28:37 +0400 Sir Raorn <raorn@binec.ru> wrote:

SR> > if I change charset when viewing message (Message->Text
SR> > Encodings) I still see "*" instead of Lithuanian letters. If
SR> > I type Lithuanian letters, I get ISO-8859-1 equivalents
SR> > instead of ISO-8859-13.
SR> I think it's font's problem. Try run openapp GNUMail.app
SR> --GNU-Debug=dflt and look at "fount encoding x for y-z"
SR> messages.

Loaded font: -*-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-*-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1
Found encoding 5 for iso8859-1
SR> P.S. And check your GNUSTEP_STRING_ENCODING env.var.

What should it be? I tried ISO-8859-13, iso8859-13, some numbers (7 for
example), but I still get the same messages as above and "*" instead of
letters.

The problem you are getting come from the fact that the xgps backend (when not using Xft) will only use one fixed X font for a given font name. If the font "helvetica" is used inside of GNUstep the one selected X font, in your case "-*-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-*-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1" is used. So only characters (or glyphs) that are available in that font can be displayed. The selection which font name to use happens inside the font_cacher and is more or less at random (the order fonts are listed by the X system).

You can influence the fonts that are available by setting:

defaults write NSGlobalDomain GSFontMask "*iso8859-13*"

and recreating your font cache (by deleting the old one). As has been noted by Adam, this is not the best way to go and in the long run GNUstep will have to be able to provide different fonts with the same encoding. Font sets may be a way to go here.