Font fallback mechanism

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Font fallback mechanism
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 09:37:32 -0400

 I would like to suggest a fallback font mechanism in GNUstep.
 Right now, user can specify the font they want to use
 in .GNUstepDefault, and only one font can be specified.
 But one font can't contain all the characters from English to Chinese.
 As far as I know, WindowMaker and GTK use a fall-back mechanism
 to solve this problem.
 User can specify more than one font in the setting,
 like NSFont = (Times, MingTi);
 The program will try to use the first specified font,
 and if the first specified font doesn't support the encoding,
 it will try to use the second specified font, and so on.
 That's the easy way to display multiple language at the same time,
 and I guess the easy way to implement in GNUstep.

 Will GNUstep accept this idea ?

 Yen-Ju