Re: GNUstep directory layout

From: Tim Harrison
Subject: Re: GNUstep directory layout
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 19:33:35 -0400

Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

But you  can imagine easily  more sophisticated systems needing  to do
things such as creating passwd/group entries, inserting crontab, inetd
or inittab entries,  or setting things up to load  a kernel module now
and at  boot time, etc.   An alternative could  be to do this  kind of
stuff from within the application, but it seems to me that's better to
do it  from an Installer.app  run once by  root rather than  by random
users launching the application.

Not to look too much like I'm tooting a horn here, but check out the LinuxSTEP Package Manager (http://developer.linuxstep.org/downloads/). I like to think that Eric has addressed a lot of issues like this, even at this early stage of LSPM's development.

On of the nifty features is the ability to specify where logging and package databases reside. This would allow one to edit the configuration, and specify a location within the root directory, if one wanted to have the package db available in single user mode.

The difference between just copying an application bundle somewhere and deleting it to remove something and installing with a package manager is simply that: package management. I can type "rm bash" as root, and remove the bash binary. But, if I'm using a package manager, the package manager does the work of removing everything that was installed with bash, and cleaning the system up, leaving no trace of the installed bash package. This is the benefit of package management. The detriment is that most package managers are bad with dependencies and lack flexibility.

I don't know if this is helpful to the conversation, but I thought I'd give it a go, and see what everyone thought.

--

Tim Harrison
tim@linuxstep.org