Re[2]: [GSWHackers] HasGSWComponents entry in info plists?

From: Manuel Guesdon
Subject: Re[2]: [GSWHackers] HasGSWComponents entry in info plists?
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 20:34:35 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002 13:01:36 +0100 (BST) Nicola Pero <nicola@brainstorm.co.uk>
wrote:

 >| > Sorry, my sentence was not very good.
 >| > I haven't tested speed difference between version with this kv
 >| > and without it but for each searched component, gsweb search
 >| > for multiple files (possible language 1, language 2...., gsweb
 >| > extension, wo extension,...) in EACH bundle.
 >| > If there's only 1 or 2 bundles and only few languages, the difference
 >| > may be very small but when you have projects with
 >| > many bundles without gswcomponents) and many languages, I think the use
 >| > of this kv make the search (very ?) faster
 >| > by ignoring some of the bundles in the search.
 >|
 >| Hmmm.  Quite interesting.
 >|
 >| Can I summarize what I understood ?
 >|
 >| There is an API by which you can request the path to a certain gsw
 >| component.  To find the component, the library loops on all bundles in the
 >| application, and looks for the component in there (scanning all languages
 >| and possible extensions [.gsw or .wo]).  It then returns the first match.

That's right.

 >| What about keeping a table of available components then ?  At start up,
 >| you scan all already loaded bundles using +allBundles, and record all .gsw
 >| and .wo components (that is, I think, resource directories with a .gsw or
 >| .wo extension, localized or not) you find in a table.  Then, you register
 >| for the NSBundleDidLoad notification; when you get that notification, you
 >| check for the components in the newly loaded bundle, and add them to the
 >| table.
 >|
 >| Once you get a request for a component, you only have to get it from the
 >| table.
 >|
 >| Maybe it's not appropriate, anyway I thought I'd say it.

No, It's a very very nice idea. David will try to implement this as far as I
understood.

 >| > Yes, I think we should include it.
 >|
 >| If we are to include HasGSWComponents, why not making it automatical ?  I
 >| think it would be annoying to have to set it manually.
 >|
 >| I mean, if xxx_WEBSERVER_COMPONENTS (or
 >| xxx_WEBSERVER_LOCALIZED_COMPONENTS) is not empty, gnustep-make would set
 >| HasGSWComponents=YES; if it is empty, it would not set it.
 >|
 >| I can easily/trivially implement this behaviour if it's deemed correct.

Good idea too !
If David find problems implementing the cache, we could use this. Otherwise, we
can completely remove HasGSWComponents.

Manuel
Manuel Guesdon - ORANGE CONCEPT <mguesdon@orange-concept.com>
14 rue Jean-Baptiste Clement  -  93200 Saint-Denis  -  France
Tel: +33 1 4940 0997  -  Fax: +33 1 4940 0998