Re: GNUstep filesystem spec

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: GNUstep filesystem spec
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 18:44:25 +0100 (BST)

Hi Martin,

> > Thanks Jeff - I quite like your suggestion for the network directory -
> > if the network domain is to be mounted from a remote server, [...] we
> > should not be creating it as a directory.
>
> Well, you still need the directory as mount point anyway.

Yes - thanks!  After a quick look at the NFS doc you are definitely right
... so it should all already work ? ... has anyone done/used it ?

> Also I think the GNUSTEP_*_ROOT folders should always be present:
> this also prevents problems like people creating a 'GNUstep/local' folder
> and wondering why it doesn't work.

Ok - yes

> It's a good idea to disable the creation of empty and unused folders within
> the domains. But it could be useful to provide a script or make rule to
> create
> the basic directory tree, e.g. to help sysadmins to setup local
> templates or whatever.

Ok - thanks - good point - so we'd run the script for the
GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT when we install gnustep-make; sysadmins can then
manually run it for other domains as well if they so wish.