Re: Cocoa/GNUStep Portability (was Re: Seattle???)

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: Cocoa/GNUStep Portability (was Re: Seattle???)
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 02:06:27 +0200

Am Freitag den, 18. Oktober 2002, um 08:57, schrieb Sherm Pendley:

On Friday, October 18, 2002, at 01:45 AM, ryan wrote:

Personally I'm interested in seeing if I can port AppKit/Foundation programs
to GNUStep on Linux.

Have you seen GNUMail.app? It's portable to both environments, so studying the source could give you an idea of what's involved.

From what I can tell, the most significant difference is that GNUStep doesn't yet support NIBs. So, GNUMail.app has #ifdefs here and there; on OS X, it loads NIBs, but under GNUStep, it instantiates GUI controls programatically.

Thats not right. Of course, they don't support the nibs created with IB, the season for this is that the nib format is somewhat undocumented and contains some references to private Ivars of the classes that got serialized. GNUstep has a own format for that purpose, it is called .gorm like their IB Clone, the Graphical Objects Relations Manager. And there is a tool that converts .nibs to .gmodels (another format for that purpose understood by GNUstep). The reason GORM is not widely used is, that it is not finished yet, it is currently in alpha state but made great progress lately.

sherm--

greetings, Lars