File packages for .gorm files

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: File packages for .gorm files
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 22:12:05 -0800 (PST)

All,

I have implemented this, but I have not committed the changes yet.   Since this
is a major change, I thought it might bear some discussion.  I have made
certain that old archives still load under existing applications and are
properly converted when saved.

The advantages of doing this are:

1) Much cleaner since it eliminates the *.classes and *.gorm files being stored
seperately.   They will now be stored in the directory {filename}.gorm where
filename is the name you specified when saving.

2) Allows Images and Sounds to be copied into the .gorm directory.   This makes
the image/sound accessible to the application when the are added to the .gorm.
3) Closer to the OPENSTEP/MOSX implementation.
Disadvantages:
1) Anyone using a .gorm file in a CVS project will need to add a new directory
and the two files within the .gorm directory.   Somewhat minor, but still...

Comments are welcome.

Thanks, GJC
P.S. Other things I am working in for Gorm.app:

1) Add ability to modify FirstResponder (fixed and ready to commit)

2) Add NSPanel and NSSecureTextField as allowable subclasses to NSWindow and
NSTextField respectively. (almost done w/ this one)

3) Correct the "test interface" problem.  (currently working on this...)

4) Add support for "file packages" i.e. a gorm file as a directory. (see above)

=====
Gregory John Casamento           Sr. Software Engineer