Re: ANNOUNCE: GNUstep Renaissance is out!

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: GNUstep Renaissance is out!
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 12:35:36 +0000

> .gsmarkup files are plain XML files with a syntax designed to be very
> easily edited by hand.  Rather than encoding all the internal details of
> objects to disk, in the way that .nib and .gorm (and, in a similar way,
> .gmodel do), .gsmarkup files contain a simple logical description of what
> the user interface is meant to be.

This is a superb idea, well done! Defining the layout of things in terms
of how it is supposed to function is a much better idea - indeed I used to
have a primitive library to do this with certain IB elements.

> I have personally ported GNUstep Renaissance to run on Apple OSX 10.2.3.
> This means that *any* application using .gsmarkup files for its interfaces
> will compile and run exactly the same on GNUstep and Apple OSX.  GNUstep
> Renaissance finally smashes down the .nib portability barrier!! :-)

This, however, is the best bit. Preseumably it could be retro-fitted onto
standard OpenStep4.2 as well and then we have a completely portable way
to have a single source code base for all three platforms ?

Superb, an excellent christmas present!

-bat.