Re: porting GWorkspace to osx

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: porting GWorkspace to osx
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 16:22:12 +0100

>On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:

>> >Constant                Description
>> >
>> >NSPlainFileType         Plain (untyped) file
>> >NSDirectoryFileType     Directory
>> >NSApplicationFileType   Cocoa application
>> >NSFilesystemFileType    File-system mount point
>> >NSShellCommandFileType  Executable shell command
>> >
>> >As you can see, NO ONE OF THEM is used!
>>
>> Since Apple's documentation
>> <http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Cocoa/Reference/ApplicationKit/ObjC_classic/Classes/NSWorkspace.html#BCIEEFBI>
>> says so we can asume you found a bug here. When I was working on the
>> GWorkspace port to Cocoa (long time ago) I could never open a folder
>> by doubleclicking it but only by using the open as folder command.
>> After peeking at the sources I also suspected a bug in Cocoa but got
>> never that close to it as you did.
>>
>> I advise you to file a bug report with Apple
>> <https://bugreport.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/RadarWeb.woa>.
>
>Ok, I've done this, even if I think that it is deliberate.

Maybe, maybe not. I already got some bugs fixed, although it may take some
time. At least you are able to check the status of the bug from time to
time.

>Otherwise I don't understand how they have written all the Finder without
>notice this.

Well, Finder is a Carbon application, that means it is based on the
refurbished Mac OS toolbox from Mac OS < X. If I remember correctly they
did it mainly to "demonstrate" the capabilities of Carbon. Not that I
think Finder is a big success, I'd rather have a nifty Cocoa app for that
purpose.

>> >They use the suffix if this exists (app, gif, pdf), an empty string if
no
>> >suffix and "0" for the mounted volume!

greetings, Lars