2 Questions

From: Travis Griggs
Subject: 2 Questions
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:01:13 -0800

one specific, the other general

1) I have just installed GNUstep components (running on Debian testing). I am now trying to work through some of the tutorials found under the Documentation link off of gnustep.org. I've made it up to the "Writing GNUstep Makefiles">>"A first App" section. I am unable to run the program though. I'm gettings lots of

2003-02-26 09:47:29.697 PanelTest[21514] File NSDictionary.m: 504. In [GSMutableDictionary -initWithContentsOfFile:] Contents of file '/home/travis/GNUstep/Defaults/.GNUstepDefaults' does not contain a dictionary

I had the same when I did the LogTest in 'A first Tool'. Wait! It did finally open a little dialog. But it still doesn't seem right to have seen multiple pages of warning at open time and to have waited 8 seconds to open up on an 800 Duron.

2) This is my first post to this list. I think this is the place I want to be. I am a long time Smalltalker. More and more lately, I do dedicated processing (soft real time embedded) in C. Of course as a Smalltalker, I miss being able to do object-ish things in C sometimes. And after having been drug through heavy duty C++ indoctrination for the last year including the STL, our own templates, Boost, etc, I am 100% convinced that there has got to be a better alternative. I've played with writing little objective-c programs a couple months back, using both gcc-objc and POC. But, as with Smalltalk, I quickly found I wanted a base object library. If I understand correctly, GNUstep is that. But one of the things that confuses me is that it is also a Desktop environment? I don't really want that. I'm targetting boxes that don't have monitors. Can I use the non-graphical class library without the rest (without heinous incantations). I think from the little tutorials I've done so far, the answer is yes, and that I want to build "tools", not "Apps".

Any hints/tips/help much appreciated.

(and thanks to Marcel Weiher for clue-ing me into this list)

--
Travis Griggs
Key Technology