Re: One small thing about application names.... :)

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: One small thing about application names.... :)
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 22:26:05 +0100

ibotty writes:
> pascal wrote:
> > .app is the  file package name extension for  applications in GNUstep,
> > OPENSTEP,  MacOSX.   Alternative  file  package  name  extensions  for
> > applications are .debug for applications compiled with -g -DDEBUG, and
> > .profile for  those compiled for  profiling.  IIRC, MacOSX is  able to
> > hide this extensions, (but this is not a good thing to do).
> >
> > Said  otherwise, the  .app is  a  technicality that  is certainly  not
> > differenciating.
>
> you are right.
> that said, i think it is differenciating, just because we (gnustep) are the
> only one using this technique on free unices/operating systems.

Right, if you want to differenciate unix applications.

But  the G*/GS*  naming scheme  differenciate first  between NeXTSTEP,
OPENSTE, MacOSX and GNUstep applications.

By the way, a lot of GNOME applications have names starting with G.

Note also  that it's  possible when you  have not "resources"  to just
generate an executable file for  an OpenStep application.  This is not
the default of  the building processes (but for  the "tools"), but you
could extract the executable from the  .app and run it stand alone for
lean applications.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                   http://www.informatimago.com/
Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in reality.